Sunday, July 08, 2007

IN BRIEF

Monday 25th June

Not particularly busy. Two piano lessons. Went to Rycote for a meeting about 'Embedding RARPA'. For those of you not 'in the know', I won't bother explaining what it means, merely point out that every job has it's own jargon - worse than that , it is changing all the time. You just get the hang of the last Acronym and it changes and you're back to square one! Only six people attended and of those three had attended the previous tutor meeting. It just seemed a shame for the managers who had organised it...
Severe overnight rain.

Tuesday 26th

Lucy off to spend the next three days in Manchester, accompanying Ben who is taking part in a Trading Standards Quiz. Set off to take her to the station and soon got stuck in the gridlock around Derby due to the floods. Had to deposit her round the back of the station, but decided to return to the city centre to take pictures of the floods. Eventually found a parking space and armed with the Olympus E44 and my Canon off I set on my adventure. The Derwent was incredibly high, only just able to force itself under the arches of the main bridge by the Council Offices. Had great fun snapping away, although with an Easterly wind, it was incredibly cold. On the way home stopped off at some flooded field just as someone decided he had to collect something from the waterlogged field. Was pleased that I've lots of hits on Flickr showing the chap walking away with the water at the top of his wellies.
Beginning to think I can can now 'take up my bed and walk', with every old routine that I attempt I know I am getting better. Today I decided it was time to return to tap lessons. Everyone was lovely and supportive and asked lots of questions. When you're incapacitated as I was, you desperately need the support of other people, but it's so difficult to make the effort to return to your 'normal' life. Five minutes before the end I felt I'd had enough, but I felt a great sense of achievement from having gone and joined in. (I hurt less than after every lesson in the last 18 months!)

Thursday 28th

Graham working from home in the morning and left about 1.00pm. I was busy making up a sample of felt for my class tomorrow - trying to remember the sequence of things I'd learned from a course I'd attended a couple of years ago. Collected Lucy from the station just before 2pm. Delivered parcel to Graham (only they'd sent the wrong stuff) and did the food shopping on way home. (Lucy was not happy as it turned out she'd not gone to bed until 4.00am and she'd not had any lunch)

Friday 29th

Postal strike on, so the wool for felting I'd ordered from Wingham Wools and pleaded with them to deliver by Friday failed to turn up. Luckily I had ordered some more from eBay 'just in case', but the colours weren't the best. Lesson went well for most. One of the students who has a helper, decided she'd get upset because she found the technique of teasing out the wool a little difficult, but everyone else was happy enough and I was plaesed with the results. Had another session in the afternoon making felted balls for a bracelet next week. Took a break and looked at some felted websites on the internet which worked very well.
Met Lucy in town afterwards and had a look round the shops. Took Lucy over to Ben's (she's going on holiday with him and his family for the week) bought fish and chips from Heanor for tea (quite a rarity). Because the evening was sunny and mild Graham and I went to Duffield for a photo jaunt. Got some lovely photos of reflections in the flood waters etc. Quite a full day all told.

Saturday 30th

Graham at work until 3.30pm, then we had a quick visit to Ilkeston and back. Robert had spent the day travelling to see his mate Warren in Uttoxeter, then on to Sherwood Forest with lots of other mates (in two cars) to see Travis and other bands perform in the pouring rain. We were well asleep by the time he 'rolled' in.

Sunday 1st July

Graham busy being a professor in the garage for most of the day. Took Robert to the open day being held at Banks Mill Studios in Derby where the two jewellers I tried to organise a trip to see are. Very interesting to see all the craft units and the activity going on there. Surprised at the standard (not good) of some people's work compared with others. Gave me hope to see people working there who were older than me, perhaps there is hope yet...Had a pang of the green eyed monster on finding a tutor I vaguely know obviously pally with one of the occupants. Felt a bit put out when she was exceedingly 'arsey' (as Robert would say) when I tried to make conversation. Found a chap there who is a Product Designer and left Robert to chat with him for an hour. Had a surprise encounter with Juliette Hemmingway - famous for her amazing ecclesiastical robes (she designed the ones for the Bishop of Canterbury when he was inaugurated) as I knew two people in her employ and had often wondered what she was like.
Came home and then put Robert on the train at 6.00pm

No comments: