Saturday, February 28, 2009

IN BRIEF

01.02.09
Nice day spent with my parents. Lucy helped with the cooking. I made sure my pianola was still in working order and Graham caught up with the latest gadgets my dad was in the process of making.
We set off home after Sunday lunch. It was so cold that we soon caught up with snow flurries. Around Birmingham we swapped over as Graham was finding it increasingly difficult to keep his eyes open.
Once safely home, the snow began falling - it was good to be back at base.

02.02.09
Surprisingly little snow fell over night and while much of the rest of the UK was at a stand still, here there was no reason not to go to work.
Unfortunately, because of the snow we were missing quite a few learners at Jewellery Class. Those who were there enjoyed using the ring mandrels my dad had made for me out of wood and produced some superb rings.

03.02.09
More snow over night. The sun was out by the time I got up, so I spent a very happy (and cold) hour taking some photos first thing. 
The postman delivered my new camera (Canon IXUS 980) and later, just before I left a grumpy DHL man delivered the new shiny 24 inch all singing all dancing iMac. (Dare I say the fault has now cured itself...)
The car park at Alfreton was extremely snowy and icy when I arrived at just gone 12. It was no surprise then that only 4 students made it to class to take part Tea Bag Folding. Funnily enough though, the snow had all turned to harmless slush by the time I left two hours later.

04.02.09
Still lots of snow around, but luckily no new falls as today was a full day. Graham worked from home, so that he could keep an eye on the copying over of all the data from the old to the new computer. (Thanks Graham)
I left at 11.30am, just as the chaps arrived to fit a new front door and panel, and headed down to Maston's Brewery in Burton to spend a happy hour making earrings with some of the employees during their lunch hour. 

05.02.09
More snow today, so an evening out looked in jeopardy until later. Lots to catch up with, Graham still at home keeping an eye on some teething troubles with the new computer. I decided to nip down and have my hair cut before we went out. First, they were really busy - when I'd assumed that everyone would have stayed at home today and secondly my usual hairdresser was no where to be seen - always a sign to fill me with panic. Writing about it now, I know my hair is beginning to return to its longer length, but as I sat there, I could see that the length she started at one side was getting shorter and shorter as she made it to the other side. May have to look for a new hair dress next time (definately...!)
Off early to Leicester to make sure we arrived in time, we collected Lucy and walked very gingerly to Nandos down the road for tea. Then we collected the car from outside Lucy's flat and drove the remaining mile and a half to The DeMontfort Hall. (the pavements were inches deep in snow) The short journey from the car park to the theatre proved impossible for me in the shoes I had chosen to wear. While I collapsed in fits of giggles trying to keep upright, Graham and Lucy attempted to steer me in the general direction of the main door. Unfortunately, the trip from the car park proved to be more entertaining than the act we had paid £32 each to see. Michel Le Grand chose to play (and sing) some of his lesser well known melodies and the wait to see Alison Moyet seemed interminable. To have listened to the deep rich full tones of Alison for the whole two hours would have made a memorable evening, but as it was the few songs that she was allowed to sing left us all wanting more...

No comments: