Saturday, July 03, 2010

June 2010
02.06.10: Took a Jewellery workshop at Borrowash Library. Just for once everyone turned up (8) and went home very happy having made a bracelet using the crossover technique.
This week has been half term, so it has been really busy. Lucy went to France flying on her own from Stansted to Lyon. Poor girl had to wait 3 hours going, but everything has gone smoothly since.
04.06.10: Made time to visit Derby university this morning and view the Textile and Fine Art and Commercial photography show. Robert came home this evening arriving at 10.30pm - early for him.
05.06.10: Robert went to town and bought new sandals, Graham was busy with motor bike bits. Went out after lunch and eventually ended up at Longshaw Estate, a National Trust area in the Peaks. Robert and I went there about the same time of year two years ago. This time I was able to walk probably twice as far, which was great. Stopped off at Tuckers in Matlock on the way back for tea of fish and chips. Quite hot and sticky today - thunderstorms struck about 5.00am Sunday morning.
06.06.10: Set off as early as possible to visit parents for the day. My mum was reasonably bright and we all enjoyed the day leaving about 6.00pm. Robert and I went for a walk after lunch. We made our way down to Upper Slaughter, over the ford and would have made it a round trip had the heavens not opened and tried to drench us. Luckily we were able to phone Graham and request he rescued us - although this was almost impossible as Robert had left his car in front of Graham's and had his keys in his pocket!
07.06.10: For the past two years I have been to Derby University to be shown the photographic show by one of the lecturers there, who used to work with Graham. It's odd how you can spend hours discussing the student's work and not notice the time fly by. Can't wait for next year!
John had a meeting at 12.00pm and I had to get to my physiotherapy session at Ripley Hospital. I'm not sure it is helping, but I am enjoying the fact that someone cares enough to try and help me.
08.06.10: Last Jewellery Class at Alfreton - probably for ever as my class is not being offered in September. It's disappointing, but I am looking forward to having a Jewellery Class at The newly built Eco Centre at Wirksworth.
10.06.10: New piano pupil today, retired lady who used to teach at the same school as one of our neighbours. She is a very young 63! Had to dash off to the dentist straight after. Had a filling replaced as the tooth has become very sensitive when anything cold touches it. Not sure if it has cured it completely, but there was a definite improvement once my mouth unfroze from the anaesthetic.
11.06.10: Back to Friday Jewellery class at Village. Lucy came to town with me for 3.00pm and I had my eyes tested and paid for new glasses - well actually my first pair. I can't believe how much they have deteriorated in the last two years. I suppose I am lucky not to have needed glasses before, but I find it difficult to accept that that's how it is and they will only get worse, not better...
12.06.10: Graham, Lucy and I went to Belper Steam Rally - which is held at Denby now. It was a lovely hot day and although the Pork cob wasn't brilliant there was lots to see and the Dacota flying over was good. Bumped into one of my piano pupils (he came a few times and then stopped as he was too busy) we had a lovely chat (he shows his two cars, an MGC GT and an Alvis) and he has promised to start lessons again soon...
14.06.10: A very busy week for Lucy. Today is 'Get In' day at the building housing her Degree Show. She is obliged to paint everything white - shame others didn't realise that this excluded the floor!
15.06.10: Graham did his dutiful dad thing and went to help attach things to the wall; namely Lucy's trellis and numerous shelves. He came home very happy as no one told him he had put things up in the wrong place and everyone was very grateful, female and under 25! I went to Ilkeston and collected a six foot banner Lucy had had printed.
16.06.10: My turn today, I arrived just after 10, had a cup of coffee, then we carried Lucy's garments over to the building and spent a happy morning dressing her mannequin and body shapes. At lunch time we sauntered over to the pub below where Lucy lives, had a delicious chicken burger and curly chips and after a few more alterations left and was home for 4.00pm. It felt like a holiday for me and the weather was beautifully warm and sunny.
18.06.10: Busy lesson at Village, home, quick lunch and check on emails and then off to Leicester for Lucy's Degree Show opening. Was disappointed that I missed all the things I meant to look at like the Body Contour and Footwear part - perhaps we can go next year! Robert travelled up from Salisbury and met us there. Graham and I left at 7.00pm and came home and had our tea at the Spotted Cow at Holbrook and then home to make sure everything was packed for tomorrow.
19.06.10: Didn't sleep very well in anticipation of the week-end. Up at 8.00am and off at 9.00am to drive to Bradford. I had made a special request to borrow the Sat Nav, but was a little bemused when I swear it guided me left to take the M18 to Hull, but put me back on the M1 in a matter of minutes as if to prove that I must take more notice of it!! Arrived at 10.30am and took my place in 'The Boardroom' and within an hour was busy navigating people around the website and explaining the benefits of appearing on our Retailer's Page for the special rate of £50.00 per annum. Lunch was laid on, although I was a bit taken aback that it consisted of Indian food (I had it explained to me later about Bradford being the home of English Curry), Plaice goujons and potato wedges. By 5 most people had left so I went to find my room, collect my things from the car (it took me three journeys), got washed and changed and was ready for an evening meal in the restaurant.
20.06.10: Not a brilliant night's sleep, I was so tired, but was disturbed by next doors - why do I always seem to get the room with a connecting door...? Met the others for breakfast and for someone who never eats anything at that time of day, treated myself to bacon, mushrooms and toast - well I can always make an exception when it's there in front of me. How guilty did I feel when the others only had yoghurt and fruit...The rest of the day was a complete blur, but we did have lots of people sign up. I eventually arrived home at 7.00pm and spent the next hour picking strawberries.
21.06.10: Lucy had her first job interview in London with Boden (they make posh women's clothes) It went well, but poor girl had to cope with a nasty cold she'd picked up over the weekend. Since last Thursday she has found out she has this interview and has the offer of some 'market research' work for the next two weeks.
23.06.10: This week is Learner's Disability Week and to mark the occasion I was asked to take two jewellery sessions at Long Eaton Library. In the morning there were five learners and three helpers and everything went well, but I was concerned that really I had chosen the wrong activity, so instead of having a relaxing lunchtime, I dashed home to pick up other materials and arrived back with five minutes to spare. As it turned out, it was the right thing to do and everyone went home happy with necklaces and bracelets they had made.
24.06.10: At the moment I have 12 piano pupils, which is more than I've ever had since we moved to Morley. Even stranger is the fact that only 4 are children (2 girls, 2 boys) , the rest are adults (7 female, 1 male) The last few weeks have been a bit stressful as three have been preparing for their Grade 1 piano exams and all came for extra lessons. Today, one of the adults took her exam - result? we have to wait another fortnight... Went to town to collect my first pair of glasses. I really can see so much better with them (reading) but need to get over my hang-up of actually wearing them.
25.06.10: I taught my jewellery class at Village and Graham went to Leicester and collected Lucy's larger items from her Degree Show. I collected Lucy from the station and we partook of our usual Friday afternoon retail therapy...
26.06.10: Graham spent the day a a bike show, Lucy and I went to Denby Pottery as we thought our special pork cob people would be there (they weren't), so had some lunch there (disappointing) and then went and had a walk round Duffield Carnival - which will be remembered for the delicious cake we bought from the cake stall (and Lucy won a bottle of wine).
27.06.10: An incredibly hot day which we spent mostly at the County Fair at Elvaston. It's the one show I don't think we have visited since we came to live in Derby - and I'm not sure we will be going again (entrance was £9.00 each!) At least the pork cob was good, the WI tent had some lovely things and the food tents were equally enjoyable. Top marks went to the animals, especially the cows, some of whom had their calves with them - adorable...
28.06.10: Lucy first whole week at work started badly. At 8.45am I had a phone call from her to say she'd slipped off the curb whilst waiting for her bus and badly grazed her knee. I sympathised with her and thought that was that. What I didn't know until later was that minutes after, she'd fainted, gone head first onto the ground and woken up dazed and unable to see. Not knowing quite what to do and in her usual style she'd carried on, caught her bus and carried on like the stalwart she always is. What was more distressing was that in a street wilh people around her, no one had come to her aid...
30.06.10: Graham had to take his car in to have the air conditioning and turbo charger sorted. I met him at the bank and then bought two pairs of shoes for next week's holiday. Also bought a couple of copies of this month's 'The Derbyshire' which has the article about me in it. I didn't realise, but the same article was in the Derby Evening Telegraph today too.
My other two pupils took their Grade One piano exam today, both reported back in a positive fashion. Very busy day and in the evening I went to see 'Stepping Out' at The Derby Playhouse with a group from my tap class. The audience were mainly female and from their reaction, it was clear that the majority attended a similar class to the one portrayed in the play. It was staged so that supposedly a mirror was where the audience was, in fact we were an exact mirror...

No comments: