Saturday, February 05, 2011

  1. Saturday 22nd January was a bit of a 'non day'. Miserable weather, didn't go out and didn't feel inspired to do anything constructive. By the evening, I was, as they say; bored, bored, bored, so bored in fact that I began looking through other blogs randomly. I went to my profile page and looked for people who had the same favourite film as me - 'Big' and clicked onto the list. Of those who had 'Big' listed I clicked on 'photography' wondering whether those with the same interests are just like me. The second blog I chose had the title 'Make Do And Mend' (very clever to have named a blog that, as the phrase is so popular) Amazingly, this blogger lives in Nottingham and as I read through all the interesting things she had done, one post really caught my eye... Ever heard of Vivian Maier? You will do soon. In 2007, a Real Estate agent in Chicago bought up a job lot of old negatives and stumbled on a wonderful collection of street photography taken by a single lady, who lived a solitary life whose passion was taking photos of people in every day Chicago. John Maloof understood immediately the importance of the work he had discovered and is now busy raising funds to make Vivian's life story into a docu-film. I can't wait...

1 comment:

Tracy Markey said...

it's amazing where, what seems like idle, wandering can take you sometimes - what a great discovery! love the pic you have chosen :)