Monday, October 30, 2006

Window on the World

Wednesday 25th October
Today was Thornton's AGM. "How come you have shares in Thorntons" I hear you ask? Thorntons floated on the stock market about the same time as I was giving up work to have Robert, so I thought I'd use my last pay to buy shares in a local firm. They have never made me rich, only fat, no that's not true. This year they've decided to give up making nougat caskets which is a bad move. If you've ever wanted to sample pure indulgent luxury, it has to be a Thornton's nougat casket, just going soft..just thinking about it makes me salivate. Anyway a lady there who bemoaned the passing of the casket turned out to be a nee Thornton and has offered to fill the void of a femaleless board. Why didn't I come up with a similar ploy? The new chairman, it has to be said, was lacking in any kind of dynamism, but it is early days yet and he has reinstated free chocs for attendees of the AGM (an admiral move). Peter Burdon soon stopped that nambie pambie generosity when he took over citing 'chocs mean procs' (nearest I can get 'profits' to rhyme) I shall miss him...but fair exchange as they say... One last comment about Thorntons; if I want to join the board I may need to change my name. The new chairman is John von Spreckelsen and when he started speaking I half expected the rest of the cast of 'Allo, 'Allo' to appear on stage (he did have a slight German accent) When there was a woman on the board her name was Peggy Czyzak-Dannenbaum, which was probably why she didn't last: - no one could pronounce her name!

No comments: