Sunday, June 22, 2008

IN BRIEF

Sunday 1st June

A day spent at home. Robert helped me install the iPhoto software onto the computer, which made us a bit late having lunch and consequently Robert had to catch a later train. (I think I was forgiven) Not sure iPhoto is all it's cracked up to be...

Monday 2nd June

Played catch up on the website all day. Had a visitor, Karen who I know through teaching who came after lunch. She bought one of my bags from me...I think she's been promising to come for over a year. She'd just finished a year of being her mother's consort while she was Mayor of Erewash (or was it Amber Valley) Karen is passionate about politics and 'making things happen'... I just hope she can...

Tuesday 3rd June

Up early and off to Alfreton to teach a 'one off' workshop about silk painting... it was pouring with rain. I found the new Adult Education centre with the aid of a map (it's directly opposite the Leisure Centre) as there isn't one sign to it. It's a wonderful new 'built for purpose' building, but, as I found to my cost, fitted with heavy fire doors which I was completely unable to cope with. It was just so embarrassing having to ask clerk and caretaker to open the doors for me, but I didn't have any choice. There were only 6 students, and they'd all travelled miles by bus and by car in order to attend. We had a really successful morning with some beautiful results.

Wednesday 4th June

A while back I was contacted by someone from Australia who had seen my photos of Little Eaton on Flickr. During 1958 at the tender age of six, she had been in a children's home in Little Eaton. It took a while to locate the correct building, but it turned out the house had been a welcome home to many distressed children right up until 2004, when it closed. I'd found that information on the internet and then come across the website of someone who used to worked there. He was intrigued as to why I should be interested in the place, which was 'his best job ever' and was very helpful, giving me the phone number of someone else who had also worked there and who still lived in the village. I phoned last week and had a chat with a very helpful lady called Kath. She'd later phoned me back with further details of the new owners, who had been featured in the local paper as they now design Eco Houses there.

So today was my second 'photo assignment' (if you count Copse Hill). I'd arranged to meet another photographer there, one of my contacts on Fickr who lives in the village. He seems to make a living photographing local events 'with a difference'. If there's a protest going on or something similar he'll be there recording it. He's currently posting photos of a group trying to stop a nearby open cast mine being opened.

Contrary to expectations the weather was sunny and warm and the sky blue. We met at the allotted place, Gary was conspicuous by the amount of camera equipment he was carrying... I was generally conspicuous. As we walked up to the coach house to ask permission to take photos (I'd phoned twice and sent an email, but had no reply) I felt sorry for Gary out of breath from all he was carrying, but he did look the part and the owners were only too happy to grant us 'carte blanche' to photograph the building. Even the gardener took an interest and we had a good chat with him too.

An hour later we were done (how did it take that long?) we walked back along the road, shook hands and went our separate ways. Gary's photos were on Flickr by the afternoon (had I shot myself in the foot here?) I took about a week to get them ready for viewing, as I was carefully cloning out builder's skips and bits of rubble lying about. I also didn't want any photos of the Eco House included ( there is a full sized one next to the house, see image below). Since then I have been in contact with Sarah from Australia and Craig who holds the archives (only since 1990). I am hopeful that in time people will contact me with their experiences of their time spent at Eaton House.

I'd love to be the one to put them all in touch with each other...

Thursday 5th June

Two piano lessons first thing, then off to the Markeaton Street Campus of Derby University. While setting up my 'blind photography date' with Gary, I'd discovered that we knew someone in common. Gary is doing a Photography Degree with John who used to work with Graham. Because of that I'd phoned John for a chat and he invited me to see the Photography Degree Show. We only had about an hour before I had to dash off to go teaching, but it was interesting have someone talk me through the student's work. Taking photos to put on Flickr, you are acutely aware that your subject matter has to be aesthetically pleasing to others. Taking photos for a degree show - having interpreted your 'brief' relies heavily on how adept you are at printing up copies and how you choose to mount them. In the end we had to agree to disagree...

Teaching ended up having somewhat of an upsetting negative 'take'. Collected Lucy from work and went and bought lots of buttons for next week's Family Learning session, then off to do some food shopping.

Also learned today that Graham has managed to lose his new camera, which is also rather upsetting. Phoned up for advice on how to claim on our insurance.

Friday 6th June

Persuaded Lucy to come and help at my lesson, only to find on arrival that no students turned up! Instead went and took photos of another tutor's lesson so she has some evidence of the work she is doing.

Saturday 7th June

Day of catch up. Managed some gardening, so rather than go out, weeded and transplanted some happy parsnip plants.

In the evening drove up to Alfreton with Gail to see a concert of duets held in the church. On the whole it was very enjoyable (if a little too much Mozart) and in aid of new bells for the church. The only reason I knew of it was I'd seen posters advertising the event when I'd come up on Tuesday to take the silk painting workshop.

No comments: