Sunday, June 29, 2008

Fould's Tutor Day


Piano Lessons
Originally uploaded by Geraldine Curtis
Sunday 15th June

Every year the local music shop in Derby holds a teaching day when a well known figure in the piano world comes and demonstrates their music tuition books. For the last couple of years there has been someone from America promoting Hal Leonard books, for which I am a complete convert. Their books have relatively simple tunes, but the student plays to an accompaniment on a CD. It's great fun and used as a special treat helps students to play continuously and is invaluable in promoting musical awareness and improving all aspects of sight reading.

This year Christopher Norton, who often has his compositions included in ABRSM exam pieces as the jazz element (they are excellent) and composes prolifically, has teamed up with another chap in America to promote yet another musical 'syllabus' for what they see as a gap in the market. The cynic in me believes they have jumped on the Hal Leonard 'bandwagon' and by saying that their syllabus provides the elements that are missing in the HL series, they are 'on to' a clear 'winner'.

I did buy three of his books, (so he won't starve) and I have tried them out on one of my pupils already. "I can't tell it's not butter" is the phrase that comes to mind.

However, all credit to Fould's for organising the day and for the lovely buffet lunch that was supplied. If you teach piano in the Derby/Nottingham area, get in touch with them in time for next year's training day, it's well worth it...

Thanks too for Graham for giving me a lift there and back as Hermione almost prevented me from attending, and to the new Tom Tom gadget which took so long to set up I could have walked it! (almost)

3 comments:

China Pattern said...

Interesting blog. I had to laugh because my daughter has a Tom Tom that you can take in your pocket so you CAN walk there. She studied in London last summer and wants to go back so we got one that can download the European maps when she is ready. We live in Ohio.

My husband plays piano. We just bought a new one for the living room. I am the master of "Chopsticks". Perhaps, I will look in to the Hal Leonard series. (note: I have many plans for new activities and too little time to accomplish them all!)

Geraldine said...

Hi China,

Just back from 10 days in Italy, complete with Tom Tom (We call 'him' Boris!) Quite often my husband would have it in his pocket while we were out exploring in case we got lost and then we'd hear from the depths of his shorts:"Turn around when possible!" it was quite funny.
The Hal Leonard series would be ideal for you to start learning as you play along with the CD. The only strange thing is that you're taught to play on the black notes first!

Let me know how you get on.

JS said...

Geraldine, I share your cynicism. I actually believe that it is completely inappropriate for a publisher to develop a syllabus. It is simply a means to sell their books.

Developing a syllabus is better left to educational/examination bodies. Publishers should stick to publishing music to support a syllabus.

Interestingly Norton published a series last year to support the Royal Conservatory of Music Exams in Canada, and the National Music Certificate Program in the U.S. called Christopher Norton Connections for Piano with Frederick Harris Music.