Tuesday, March 25, 2008

IN BRIEF

Monday 11th March

Day started well with another of my pictures printed in the local paper. (See below) Had emails from some of the guests from Graham's party and a few photos from Dave.

Felt suitably organised for Jewellery class this afternoon and managed to leave on time. It seems to be that time in the term when students suddenly can't make it is it me or them...?. On the upside, I have been invited to do a workshop at Marston Brewery in August, in their workplace which will a first for me and I hope the first of many.

At least no cancellations with piano pupils, Abigail is at last remembering notes and 'getting the hang' of how to play the piano. Harriet has her Grade 5 exam next week.

Graham rang to say he was safely in New York and that the time difference is only 4 hours at the moment instead of the usual 5. Sunny, but cold.

Tuesday 12th March

Morning spent updating the website, afternoon saw a new initiative of having a short drive out. The plan is to perhaps go a bit further each week as and when Hermione will let me. Went to Ilkeston and bought some Easter eggs to say 'thank you' to the people who have helped me by carrying my things to and from the car to my class.

Wednesday 13th March

Lessons to plan, emails to write.
Short trip to garden centre in afternoon.

Thursday 14th March

Busy morning and then was surprised when the boiler man turned up at 11.00am. I'd been told on Tuesday that he was fully booked this week, must have swung it when I said the boiler wasn't working properly! It wasn't the usual chap, he always tells me off for covering up the air brick or lectures me on the state of the chimney (bits keep falling down it as it needs repointing.) In fact he seemed so genuinely nice that he was offered a cup of coffee the moment he walked in! Having taken the boiler apart and rummaged in the oil shed (apparently there was a problem with the oil flow) he finally left at 23 minutes past 12. I left at 25 minutes past 12, 5 minutes later than usual. Rushing to make up time I came across an horrendous accident at a nearby crossing which had happened moments before. Three cars seemed to have been involved and the wreckage was strewn everywhere. Cars had stopped to help and I followed the car in front gingerly skirting around the car left in the middle of the road. I met two police cars and a fire engine coming from the opposite direction. It's at moments like these you hold your breath, thank the powers that be you were not involved and hope that no one was seriously injured.

Teaching the class did take my mind off it for the time being. However, the phone was ringing as I arrived back in the house and the person ringing was the sister of my piano pupil: "Harrriet can't come to her piano lesson, her mum's been involved in a car accident"... I knew I recognised the car in the road, I just couldn't place it. For the record, Harriet's mum wasn't injured, nor the occupants of the other car involved. During a lapse in concentration, in negotiating the crossing, she'd omitted to look both ways with disastrous consequences...

Friday 15th March

Extremely busy morning at Crafts, even with full quota of helpers, it is so draining...
Left class and headed for the train station and caught the next train to Birmingham, alighting at the NEC. Spent a very enjoyable afternoon 'networking' (what a pretentious word) with a variety of people connected with my job with the UK Hand Knitting Association and then went mad and spent lots of money on beads, lots more fun...(See above)

No comments: