Sunday, March 16, 2008

Presentations....

About a week before the party, Alistair from work had phoned me and asked what Graham would like for a present. I said I'd have a think about it and get back to him. Over the week end I pestered Graham to write down a 'wish list' of the all presents he might like in the future, but he couldn't see the point and refused. I wasn't going to tell him the real reason...

Monday came and I had to phone Alistair. I said that I thought Graham must have been very disappointed when after 25 years in the rail industry his services weren't acknowledged... no clock, no certificate no nothing, and I thought it would really mean something if they chose 'anything' and had it engraved to become a special memory of a special day. Alistair took the idea and ran with it. Not only did they find a pocket watch and had an inscription put on the box, but the watch had its own significance for the occasion. Dating from 1914 it was given to one of the people responsible for improving timekeeping on the American Railroads (lots were handed out!) And as Graham is now involved in selling monitoring equipment to the US, it is so appropriate.

Graham was completely 'bowled over', speechless, in awe... it was lovely to see...

No comments: