Monday, January 15, 2007

After that, the estate was divided up and the plots sold off individually; the main house , the laundry, the stables , the walled garden, the lodge and the 'gas houses' across the road where at one time gas was made and pumped up to heat the house. And that's how it is today, planning permission was eventually granted to make the bothy in the walled garden into a house, which became another mansion in its own right. To get round regulations, they dug down and built it below ground level so that it wouldn't impinge on the sky line. The stables has also mushroomed and has just been sold again to (as my dad put it) a pop star, but which one, I don't know. Sadly. I don't really have any relevant images to go with this story, so if anyone has any more information, please get in contact and let me know. I hope this is one small step towards championing the man who we should all have heard of, Thomas Brassey 1805 - 1870...

No comments: