Wednesday, January 03, 2007

IN BRIEF

Monday 1st
Happy New Year to everyone, those I'll see soon and those I might not see in ages. Hope you all have made resolutions that will make 2007 a time to look forward to. Me, I can't think of any resolution other than trying to get my health back on track and just to be 'normal' again.
Robert had work to go back to work tomorrow, so popped him on a train at Derby Station at 2.30pm. Lucy and I thought we'd indulge ourselves with a 'quick flip' round the sales, no one had told us there weren't any shops open. (well only about two!!)

Tuesday 2nd
Graham back at work, so had no choice, but to throw myself at the website. Virtually no emails over the festive season, visitors down, but not a disaster. Put up a new page on books available, a bit bland, but the information is all there. Lucy went shopping with a school friend after lunch, so I posted a Birthday present I forgot to give to my dad and Robert's pyjamas (!) and spent the rest of the afternoon hoovering and tidying - it was surprisingly satisfying.

Wednesday 3rd
Took Lucy to school after lunch to give blood.
Conversation: Lucy; "Why don't you come and give blood with me". Me, holding up my 'little' arm; "I don't have a pint to give" Apologises for this not working on paper, it was a visual joke and you have to know the Tony Hancock sketch!
On to Ilkeston to collect package which turned out to be new Freeview Box for kitchen (we now have three Freeview boxes - not kitchens!) then had to find Kirk Hallam Community Hall (where I'll be teaching next Thursday) which turned out to be much nearer home than I thought. I had a guided tour of this well equipped building complete with panic buttons in every room (just in case) including the toilet where the pull switch is often mistaken for the light pull!! Went to town to put in Christmas cheques and buy materials for the class. Got phone call from my Line Manager whilst in M&S, wanted to arrange a 'one to one' next Friday to discuss targets. (Should I take a dart board?!)

Thursday 4th
Spent the morning finding ways of not doing what I was supposed to be doing (preparing next week's lessons). Wrote email about a job I'd seen in the paper yesterday about being a feature write for a beauty magazine, yes, it is laughable, but it just shows what lengths you can go to when the job in hand doesn't appeal!! Graham came home at lunch time and I had to pretend to show interest in the model aero engine he'd bought off eBay. Conversation: Graham: "But it's got your favourite singer's name on the side. (Enya)" Me: "Ha, ha, very funny, but what is it for?"
Spent part of the afternoon at Derby City Hospital with Graham who had appointment for a diabetic eye test. Took longer to walk from car park and find the correct department, than we spent in the clinic, NHS efficiency at it's best! Will take up to ten days to hear how the blood vessels in his eyes are bearing up to all the pills he now has to take (6 a day)
Had reply back from magazine, perhaps writing up lesson plans isn't that bad...

Saturday 6th
Robert rang mid afternoon to share his news. Conversation: "Guess where I am and what I'm standing next to?" Me: "A new bike in a bike shop?" Very close... He'd taken the train into Cambridge and bought a bike from a New Zealander off back to New Zealand. He was at the station waiting for his train with two bikes in tow (homophone) It was lovely to feel the phone tingle with his excitement at his purchase. Our (at home) excitement covered putting the Christmas decorations away and getting wet going shopping...

Sunday 7th
Trying very hard to get up to date with New Year 'To Do' list (sound familiar?) Managed to sign contract from last year, send cheque to pensions department (not sure why as I won't get a pension of my own) and a letter to the Building Society telling them that I no longer qualify for gross interest (back dated). The most important letter still didn't get written - to the tax man, help!!...

No comments: