Monday, January 29, 2007

Making The Most of the Day...

It's a funny thing when Graham's away, sometimes it's best to immerse yourself in work and hope that time will go quickly. Sometimes you need to make the best of the situation and make a decision based on what you might have done had he'd been here. I decided I needed a change of scenery and as ever went in search of a photographic opportunity (how sad). Next decision, how far do you go before you encounter uncharted territory or where you've not been in a while. First I had to wait until my camera battery had charged (lack of planning) and then set off and headed up the M1. Coming off at the next junction, I followed the brown signs to Hardwick Hall, trying to find an aspect I'd not photographed before. As luck would have it I found the Nature Reserve that belonged to Hardwick Hall and parked as near to my quarry as possible. Out came my photographic equipment (the tripod Graham bought from Rome from a street seller) onto which I anchored my camera. I was very much aware that I needed to make haste as the light was fading fast, but also that I did not make a very convincing photographer. Even less so when I changed into my flowery wellingtons, perhaps I was hoping to blend into the scenery?! First stop was the fishing lake and just as I had secured my place, a family invaded my space and began throwing bread for the seagulls (how inconsiderate). However, I soon realised that this intrusion might actually add to the quality of the pictures I was to take. Who else would have swooping seagulls in their Hardwick Hall scenes? Luckily the bread ran out just as the sun decided to make an appearance and I took my best shots while the brief calm was restored. After this I began the long trek up to the house, luckily without any witnesses to my huffing and puffing - (it was very steep). I felt a real sense of achievement as I reached the summit, but was disappointed to find that nothing would allow me the full view of this magnificent building. With a sigh of resolve, I took what I could and made a hasty (no choice due to the incline) retreat back down to the security of the car.

No comments: