Sunday, March 11, 2007

IN BRIEF

Monday 5th

Lots to do on the website at the moment, so I may have seemed a little preoccupied and unappreciative when the chap from 'Alpine' came to measure up for our sofits and facias. Sorry, mate, promise to offer you a cup of coffee next time you come!
Feel I may be loosing the plot with my Jewellery Class, keeping up enthusiasm (and numbers) is sometimes a tall order. Showed them how to make a Button Knot which I thought was achievable (for them), if not impressive. The research I did for the lesson was interesting (for me) knots have a very interesting history and although they most probably all originated from China, you'll find the same knots under different names used in sailing, Celtic and Pagan folklore and jewellery. The knot I had a go with was The Prosperity or Ocean knot.

Tuesday 6th

Graham took my car in for its service. The damage was close to £300, so I may refrain from any impulse buying over the next couple of weeks, or perhaps not...
At last tap dance is beginning to sink in and I can just about remember it all the way through. Performances on 31st March and 27th April. Came home depressed as we are cutting out costumes next week. Normally I'd be only too happy to be helping making something. Now I have the dilemma of trying to explain that I can't risk doing anything which involves bending forward as it will just make my side worse. Next Thursday's hospital appointment can't come soon enough...

Wednesday 7th

The launch for the UKHKA's joint venture with Aardman Animations: The Great British PicKnit will very soon be here...28th March at the Sewing For Pleasure Show at the NEC. Apparently Robbin Cousins is opening the show and will be presented with a knitted pair of ice blades covers (slightly novel use of gift idea) but if it raises awareness for knitting all power to Rachael Matthews' elbow (she's knitted them). - For me this means a new web page containing lots of information - which I thought I'd already completed. Aardman on the other hand (or rather the PR person we are liaising with) wants our page to match theirs - (as Dawn French would say: "Just a cotton pickin' minute" ) Sent out SOS to Robert, how do we get the background to look like theirs?
Closer to home Charlotte (10) has her piano exam in three weeks time. She plays beautifully, but will only play the bits she likes/finds easy. Am beginning to find more grey hair after each of her lessons...

Thursday 8th

The class that I had trouble with is now eating out of my hand and they are all happy to complete more and more complicated projects without a murmur. I should feel I have accomplished something, but I only have two more weeks to run and then I'll be back to square one somewhere else.
Charlotte came for extra lesson, this time we concentrated on the aural part of her exam. Hopefully she now understands the musical terms: Dynamics, Articulation and Gradation of Tone...will test you all next week.

Friday 9th

Tried a completely new technique out with my Craft class this morning and it went really well. I had them making a fan using parchment paper. It's mainly tracing with coloured pens and pricking holes, which kept them very quiet while I played with the centre's 'toaster' - (HP printer), it's great fun to use and produces excellent prints - we are being inspected soon by Ofsted, so am trying to start preparations early...

No comments: