Friday, August 15, 2008

IN BRIEF

Thursday 24th July

Robert and I went on a walk to Cumberhill Farm in Duffield. We were shocked to see an emaciated horse looking so ill you could see every body bone in its body. I was so shocked I resolved to ring the RSPCA first thing tomorrow.

Friday 25th July

First I rang the RSPCA and had to give all my details and very little about the horse. It's not something I would normally do, but the morning after, I still felt I had to do something to make sure the horse wasn't in any sort of discomfort. Then I spent the rest of the morning organising for a taxi to take my parents to the hospital for a check up with the doctor. I went to see my new consultant in the afternoon. I am loads better than I was, I know that things are improving, BUT at this point I do not think I will ever be back to where I was. I will always
have to be careful about how much I carry, how many times I bend forward and I will never be able to push open or pull open fire doors or any doors which show any kind of resistance. But - as the experts have all repeatedly said, there is nothing else they can do. It's like agreeing to disagree... So that is what I conveyed to the consultant, I am much improved, the magic cream has been a great help, the TENS machine is there when I need some relief and that it how it will always be. That said, I was signed off - I'm on my own now...

Later in the afternoon, the RSPCA rang back to say they knew about this horse as they'd called out a vet to it last Friday. The chap was really nice (just like the ones you see on TV) and having agreed that he too was shocked at the state of the horse, but the vet had assured everyone that at 35 years old she was well past her prime and not suffering, just having difficulty eating due to her lack of teeth.

No comments: